Making Someone Smile is Easier Than You Think.
Do you want to put a smile on someone’s face? Maybe make their day a little bit brighter? It doesn’t have to take much time or money on your part. In fact, many things can be done as a part of your normal routine and cost little or nothing. We often underestimate how people can be affected by an act of kindness and they are contagious, so it’s well worth the small effort. Try out one or more of these 7 ways today, and put a smile on someone’s face. Spread a little happiness today!
1. Send a positive message. We often don’t take the time to send a positive email or text message. Handwritten notes are even more rare…just grab a “Post-It”. Start a new practice: take a few minutes to write/send a positive note on a regular basis. You just might start an epidemic!
2. Take someone out to lunch or coffee or invite them to your home. You will get to know each other even better than you do right now. If you feel like being more adventurous, throw a small party for several of your friends or colleagues and put smiles on a multitude of faces.
3. Give someone an inspirational book to read. You will feel good doing it, reading the book can change or inspire the person, and they will think of you every time they read it. You can share my book, 21 Days to Happiness, or one of the books from my recommended reading list!
4. Offer to babysit or take care of a pet for a few hours. You know the value of being able to have a few hours of “alone time” without worrying about the children and pets. Don’t wait to be asked. Offer to do it at a time when the person can do something fun and relaxing.
5. Deliver a meal to someone you know that is sick or having a rough time. We have all been sick and know the last thing you want to do is to cook. There are also times when life is tough and it is hard to do all of the daily chores. You can be a tremendous help by providing a meal that can be enjoyed.
6. Volunteer your time to a local charity. Every minute you dedicate will cause many smiles. It is very rewarding to help without being asked.
7. Thank everyone that supports you throughout the day. The list of those that you come in contact with is endless. Remember family and friends, co-workers, teachers, store employees, janitors, those that deliver your mail and staff at restaurants.
Don’t Forget to Smile
So there you have it. Seven ideas for ways to make someone smile. There is one more way that can’t be ignored: reveal a genuine smile to everyone you meet. You will experience how easy it is to get others to smile!
Learn more about happiness and how to spread happiness to others in my book 21 Days to Happiness. Order a copy for yourself and one to share with a friend!
Business Psychologist/Happiness Expert